Monday, July 18, 2011

Spicy Prawns, Mushrooms and Orzo

Here’s a wonderfully easy and healthy dinner option for you.  It was so quick and easy to make, and tasty.  I’ve only recently started cooking with orzo again, mainly because I try to limit my intake of gluten whenever I can.  Orzo is a light, rice-shaped pasta and it cooks just like pasta.  Hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did.

I must give a shout out to my wonderful friend Brenda and her husband Al.  They gave me these scrumptious BC spotted prawns that came from the West Coast of Vancouver Island.  They don’t get much better than this.  Juicy and tender.  Thanks guys!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup dried orzo
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes (I used a spicier version)
  • 1 can mushrooms (use fresh if you can..much better, but I ran out)
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 lb shelled and deveined prawns
  1. Cook the orzo in boiling water according to the package directions. 
  2. While the orzo is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions and mushrooms are somewhat translucent.  Don’t forget to stir frequently.
  3. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute.
  4. Add the diced tomatoes and the spices.  Simmer for about 5 minutes. 
  5. Add the prawns and cook until they become opaque.  Add the cooked orzo to the pan. 
  6. When the orzo is thoroughly heated, you can chow down. 

IMG00164-20110716-1632


Bon appetit!

Have  wonderful day!

Bea

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment