Friday, July 22, 2011

I am a Protein Cookie Monster

Who does not love cookies?  Some have actually called me the Cookie Monster because I just love them so much, but I try to stay away from too many baked goods if I know what’s good for me. 

But that doesn’t stop me from trying or coming up with new recipes for “healthy” cookies.  Just as long as they contain chocolate chips and no raisons, I am one happy camper.  At least if they are relatively healthy, I do not feel too guilty eating them all by myself.

So let me introduce you to a healthy cookie.  Yes, that is correct.  These contain absolutely no artificial flavours, refined sugars or flours. They do however have healthy grains, fats and protein and I even managed to make them Gluten-Free .  My belly will be thanking me

cookie1

Ingredients

Combine all of the following ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and mix well.  Makes 12 cookies.

  • 1/4 cup Gluten-Free flour mix (I used a mixture of Millet, Potato Starch, tapioca flour and xanthan gum)
  • 3/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1/8 cup ground flax/chia seeds
  • 1/8 cup  Navitas Naturals Protein Twister Power
  • 1/8 cup Agave Syrup
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts'
  • small handful of chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. Gluten-free Baking Powder
  • 1/8 cup  olive oil
  • 6 oz.  plain non-fat Greek yogurt

Preheat your oven to 375F.  Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with Pam.  Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups, about 1/3 cup full.  Then bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. 

Mine only took 12 minutes.  The cookies are moist and tender.  I think next time I will add a smidge more agave since I found they were lacking a little in sweetness.  I think it’s because of the yogurt.  Perhaps I could buy the vanilla Greek Yogurt and use that instead. 

I will definitely be making these again.  They would be great right before or after a workout because they contain healthy grains and lean fats and protein to help repair and build muscle.  I think though, that I will make them slightly larger next time and try on a cookie sheet.

Just for fun, I entered the ingredients into a recipe nutrition program I found on the internet to see the nutritional value of these cookies….here is what some of the data gave me (per cookie)…

  • 55 calories, 3g protein, 4g fat, 1g sugar, 7mg magnesium, 51mg phosphorus, 88mg potassium, 12mg sodium
  • Yup, these ones are a keeper! Smile

cookie2

cookie3

Question – Do you have a favourite pre-workout snack to help you power through your workouts?  How about after your workouts?

Bea

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. But not vegan if they have Greek yougert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woops, you're right..what was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting Jane...thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete