Monday, February 14, 2011

A little heat to kick this cold

I woke up this morning after a very restless night’s sleep.  I had a hard time falling asleep and woke up what seemed like every few hours unable to breathe through my nose.  I also had a couple of furry friends join me in bed last night.  Misty was curled up against my chest, furiously kneading me and Buster was curled up behind my legs.  I felt like the icing in between an Oreo cookie.  Pretty cozy though Smile.

Trevor left me with a lovely Valentine’s Day gift.

DSCN4201 

Valentine’s Day was pretty exciting for the kids at school.  Many brought Valentines to exchange, but I told them they had to wait until after lunch as I didn’t want to have to deal with sugar highs all day long.  I also gave them their treat after they showed me that they wrote their homework in their agendas.  They were pretty stoked for these goodies I made on the weekend.  All got eaten up too Smile  Always a good sign, right?

DSCN4180

Today’s weather was a whole other story.  It poured all day and the rain was coming down sideways.  Unfortunately we had to have an indoor day for both recesses this afternoon, which didn’t help with the Vday excitement at school. 

I did manage to stop along the highway on the way home and snap a few shots of the crashing waves.  I do love watching the waves crash in, minus the rain. 

DSCN4204

DSCN4207

DSCN4209

DSCN4210

It was very chilly out…glad to get home shortly thereafter.  The cold and wind did clear up my sinuses for a little bit, so that was good, but when I got home I made myself a tall hot mug of Vanilla Rooibos Tea… my favourite.

As for my yummy food creation tonight, I thought a little bit of spice may help kick this head cold out of me…so let me introduce you to…..


Spicy Beef and Noodle Soup

I haven’t made Thai food in a little while and had some leftover Beef Tenderloin from last night’s Bacon Wrapped Fillet MignonMy recipe calls for Beef Fillet, so what a perfect time to make this soup. 

DSCN4222

  Ingredients

  • 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 4 oz Beef Tenderloin, sliced thinly
  • 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
  • 3 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
  • 4 Tbsp crushed ginger
  • 3 Tbsp  Green Curry Paste (or less if you can’t handle too much spice)
  • 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Bragg Soy Sauce
  • 4 oz Flat Rice noodles
  • 4 cups low-sodium Beef Broth
  • some cilantro for garnish

Here is my spread of ingredients used

DSCN4214

How to make this goodness

You will need a large pot and a wok.  Prepare the broth first by heating to a simmer in the large pot.  Once the broth comes to a boil, add the rice noodles and reduce heat to a simmer and prepare the rest of the ingredients.

In the wok heat oil over medium to high heat and add the sliced onions, garlic and crushed ginger.  Sauté for a few minutes until onions are translucent in color. 

DSCN4216

DSCN4217

Add the beef and green curry paste and stir-fry for another couple of minutes.

DSCN4215

DSCN4218

Add the fish sauce and soy sauce and add entire mixture to the noodles and beef broth.  

DSCN4219

Cook for another few minutes and serve in a bowl.  Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro. 

DSCN4223


After dinner settled, my friend Vicki and I had some of this….

DSCN4225

Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream goodness with fresh strawberries and Maple Balsamic Reduction


That’s it for me tonight… going to head to bed to try and catch up on missed sleep from yesterday.  Hopefully I’ll be able to breathe somewhat.

Hope everyone had a nice Valentine’s Day.  Remember….it’s not about how much you or your sweetie did or did not spend today or this weekend… everyday should be like Valentine’s Day.

I think that Valentine’s is definitely a money maker for the stores and companies out there. It’s just another reason for people to go out and buy things to please someone. My opinion is that you shouldn’t have to go out and buy material things to show how much you care about that special someone in your life.  It’s the everyday actions that you do and show towards your significant other that speak louder than words. 

But if you got some chocolates or a card or some flowers today… enjoy them.  I did SmileI will admit that I did enjoy getting chocolates, flowers and a card from my sweetie.

Have a great night

Bea

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Vanilla rooibos is my favorite too... well, its a tie with Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride ;)

    ReplyDelete