Thursday, February 17, 2011

Baked Breakfast Cake and Mac and Cheese

So I stayed home today since I didn’t think the school would appreciate me coughing up my lungs and spreading more germs.  Which also meant I was able to sleep in today.  But Buster woke me up at 7am wanting to go outside, but then I went back to bed and was surprised to wake up at 11:30am.  Today was also the first day I could finally breathe out of my nose again. Yippee. 

When I got up this morning I wasn’t all that hungry like I normally am first thing.  I can never leave the house without eating breakfast.  I didn’t feel like my normal Green Monster or bowl of oatmeal, so I decided I wanted to make a breakfast cake.  It’s been a long time since I’ve made this.  I originally found a version of this recipe @ Oh She Glows


BAKED APPLE BREAKFAST CAKE

DSCN4233

This recipe makes enough for 3 breakfasts.  Since I obviously don’t have time in the morning during the week to make this breakfast, I’ll make it in the evening and keep in fridge for the next few days.  Feel free to play with the ingredients…there are so many possibilities.  I’ve even made it with pumpkin purée instead of yogurt. 

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cup  hazelnuts
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp  vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp  maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp  cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 Tbsp sprouted chia/flax seed
  • 1 Tbsp  Navita’s Naturals Protein Twister Power
  • 1 cup  Almond Milk… you could try this with coconut milk (hmm)
  • 1 apple, unpeeled and cut into chunks
  • 3 Tbsp Chocolate Chips
  • some oats for garnish

HOW TO MAKE

First preheat your oven to 350F and grease 3 large ramekins. 

The rest is so simple …all you need to do is add all ingredients (excepts for the apple) into your Vitamix and blend until smooth.

DSCN4227

2.  Pour the mixture into the ramekins.  Divide the apples and the chocolate chips equally between the 3 ramekins.  Top with some rolled oats.  Place on a cookie sheet and place in oven and bake for about 35 minutes.

DSCN4231

DSCN4232

DSCN4233

You probably don’t want to dig into it right away after coming out of oven, unless you want to burn your taste buds.  So I let it sit for about 10 minutes before eating. I let the other 2 cool down and covered with saran wrap before placing in fridge.  All I have to do tomorrow morning is stick it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and drizzle with some maple syrup. 

DSCN4241


MAC AND CHEESE

For dinner tonight I came up with my own version of Mac and Cheese.  I haven’t had a chance to make it to the grocery store this week to stock up my fridge, so I figured I might as well make an effort to eat what was in it before the food spoiled.  And so my creation tonight turned into this….

DSCN4252

Here is how to make this

I chopped up 1/2 an onion, 1 jalapeño pepper and about 6 strips of bacon.  Not in pictures are 2 garlic cloves.  While preparing these ingredients, I also boiled a pot of water and then cooked 2 cups of Rice Pasta

DSCN4243

DSCN4242

Make sure you remove the seeds and wash your hands really well after chopping up the pepper.  And most importantly, DO NOT touch your eyes until after you’ve washed your hands.  (Even I have to learn the hard way sometimes – haha). 

  In another pot, heat about 1 Tbsp Olive oil and add the bacon.  Cook until browned, drain the bacon and set aside.  You’re going to add the bacon to the pasta later.

DSCN4245

When the pasta is cooked, drain in a colander.  Wash the pot and return to stove.  Turn heat to medium and add 2 Tbsp Olive Oil.  Add the onions, garlic and jalapeño pepper.  Cook until onions are translucent.  Also add about 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables

DSCN4246

Now return the cooked pasta and the bacon to the vegetable mixture. 

DSCN4248

Add 1 cup grated cheese

DSCN4249

I also added 1 cup of Almond Milk, 2 Tbsp of Chicken bouillon, salt and pepper to taste.

DSCN4250

Make sure to mix everything together really well.  Cook for a couple of minutes so that your mac and cheese is nice and hot and enjoy the cheesy goodness. 

DSCN4251

Actually, it wasn’t too cheesy, it was just perfect. 


So there is my day for you.  It’s supposed to snow tonight.  We have a snowfall warning in effect (up to 10 cm).  Tomorrow is a professional development day for the staff at my school.  No kids to worry about infecting, just the teachers Laughing out loud, but depending on my night, I may take one last day at home. I’ve got some yummy breakfast cake and some mac and cheese to look forward to tomorrow as well. 

Have a great night y’all. 

Bea

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Waw!! Your breakfast cake looks fabulous!! Stunning too!

    Your mac & cheese looks equallly tasty!

    Many greets from a gf foodie from Brussels, Belgium!!

    ReplyDelete